Wednesday, May 10, 2017

WOYWW #414 Rough Cut Journal Goes Messy!

(Oh my goodness! Am I too late?) I love my Rough Cut and Wrinkled cereal box + duct tape journal so much that I call it my Playtime Journal.

It's a good one to use when I really want to relax, make messes, and silence the inner critic. Silencing that inner critic can really be a challenge at times, can't it? This journal seems to help with that a bit.

Here's that project. I'll explain further below, for those who have enough time for my messy musings.




For more WOYWW fun, visitors can head for Julia Dunnit's Stamping Ground where there is a Linky tool that allows her guests to join her weekly workdesk events. 

I'm back after a year long hiatus with WOYWW, but before I took that long break I posted about the making of my Rough Cut and Wrinkled journal. If you'd care to see more about its construction and innards, you may visit that post HERE.

The Mission Inspiration prompts I chose to follow this time I first heard about from one of my favorite vloggers, Shel C of Ocotillo Studio. They may be found at her recent nautical-themed video HERE. She got them from Mike Deakin, who also has a fun channel on YouTube.

I don't know whether you can see it, but there really is a torn section of some stamped deli paper I made for a previous post at this blog ( Visit my "No Gelli Deli" HERE) in the bridge between pages. While some of it smeared owing to a pigment issue, I still enjoyed the final outcome and so have chosen to leave it as is. Besides, I figured it would add some durability to this overworked pair of brown paper pages.

The project had already been underway since last year, so I had to alter it before it would fit the prompts list. Prompt colors this time include Teal, Lavendar and/or Grey. I made my own batch of Teal to use in this case. I tend to enjoy mixing my own colors in small batches and keeping them in tightly lidded small containers as I have less space than I used to have for my creative side.

The pages were already coated with some of my experimental homemade faux "gesso" along with some blended streaks of blues and greens. The paper underneath is from a used paper bag or else from brown packing paper.  That was last year's part. 




More recent additions were reconstituted (almost ruined out of neglect on my part!) modeling paste alphabet letters. The idea at the start was to have the letters, X, Y and Z be friends playing hooky outdoors and getting caught by a sudden spring shower. I later finger painted them in orange, red and yellow, respectively. 

The "household item" I used to make a mark may be seen in the photo at the top of this post. It's an upcycled little plastic cup from a sandwich place that delivers me yummy fresh salads now and again. It used to contain a serving of parmesan cheese. It was used to make the playful and childlike sun, upper left.

Another prompt is to use graph paper or composition paper collaged into the design. I couldn't figure out what had happened to my nice green graph paper, and so fudged this bit just a smidgeon by using a greenish ledger paper sheet instead for the grass at the foot of the page. I overlaid this with a thin glaze of Mod Podge + acrylic paint. 

I like sparkle when I am being playfully creative, so naturally there has to be glitter. I mean - c'mon! Ya gotta have glitter, right?  :) 
I've used 2 types of glitter here, one in a thinned Mod Podge runny formula into which I've added superfine iridescent clear glitter. The other one is applied glitter at the end, while things were still really sticky. The tiny shaker for it may be seen in my photo, too.

For the ribbon, yarn or string part, I chose to go with a remnant of textured yarn to use as a kite string. I painted over it using my teal, but it does not show up very well in the photo, unfortunately. The kite idea allows me to fit my XYZ picture into the Prompt theme ideas, which included the idea that we are to "Reach" and to achieve.

I opted to use torn strips of scrapbooking paper to one page to use under some words done using that Teal paint that I'd mixed. I had to use a fine tipped detail brush for those letters since my fine tipped squeeze bottles appear to have gone missing. That worked out OK for me, which was a surprise since I really am not very good at hand lettering. The other letters on the facing page I made using that same brush, but in vivid yellow this time in order to create balance for my Z.

The 3 focal points are, of course, the Modeling Paste alphabet letters that are "playing hooky" from school in a sudden rain shower. The best part of it is that we were enjoying a nice thunderstorm at the time! I love a good thunderstorm, despite any possible lightning, don't you? Everything smells and sounds delightful. I'll sometimes leave my windows wide open for a storm like that as long as the rain's not windblown in the wrong direction. 

I guess that's everything on the list now. Thanks for popping over despite my being tardy. Hope everyone's having a splendid Wednesday! See you all very soon!

~Rose

P.S. Here's the Final Reveal. Definitely wrinkly and messy fun for me!
:)




32 comments:

  1. The idea of doing something messy. wrinkles and all :-) sounds very tempting. I have been having to get everything just right. Love the bright colours and feel of the piece. anne x #17

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping by Anne! Guess you and I both tend to try and make things look 'perfect." Making a mess became my challenge when I discovered I was trying too hard!
      Some ppl might choose to call my wrinkly journal a "junk" journal. I prefer my Rough Cut and Wrinkled Play Journal name lolz. Guess it's 'cause i'm kinda wrinkly these days myself!
      :)

      Delete
  2. I love the idea behind that journal :)
    And the teal colour you've mixed is gorgeous!
    Have a Wonderful, Crafty Wednesday :)
    Bubbles (PatchworkApples) #13
    http://patchworkapples.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/woyww-414.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the nice comment, Bubbles. I enjoyed my visit to your blog very much.
    Enjoy the rest of your week!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rose. Sounds like this project has been on the go for sometime, sounds good to me as I often start stuff and then leave it for a while until I decide where to go with it. You asked about the red drawers which hold stuff that I use regularly, Stamps, card, stamping blocks, that sort of thing that I like to keep close. Thanks for the visit to mine and happy woyww, Angela x16x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela. Thanks for the visit! It's the make and model of your drawer set that I am interested in. Sorry for having been unclear about it. I really like the way that they look. I am considering changing my creative corner storage. It could take me months all told.

      Delete
  5. Love messy, wrinkly pages! Just fun to play sometimes, isn't it. We can get too bogged down with things we think we ought to be doing. Gorgeous colours, really vibrant. Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog, and by all means use the photo - perhaps you could add a link to my blog? I think Gary, our builder-neighbour, would be highly flattered and amused to know that his work has inspired artists around the world! I look forward to seeing the result. I must photograph it again as it's gone quite intereting as the concrete is drying. I agree that being creative is a good antedote to flies on provervial windscreens lol! - as long as I've got the energy to do it, after doing all the things that have to be done. I hate that art always gets relegated to the bottom of the heap...

    Happy WOYWW,
    Shoshi #29

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoshi Thanks for letting me use your accidental abstract! I KNOW the feeling about how art can so often get "relegated to the bottom of the heap." That's so true, isn't it?
      I like to offer something simple for a Friday Freebie at my other blog, Plush Possum Studio. This started only recently, but it seems worth it to continue and see what may develop from it. I'll pop back by your place and retrieve both the generously allowed pic and your blog's URL. I'll try and alert you if I manage to get it together enough creatively using your photo.
      BTW, I might miss a few Wednesdays here or there. I know I am sporadic, but that's just how I roll.
      Popping back by now!
      xo
      Rose

      Delete
  6. Hi Rose, The teal colour is lovely. Your journal is great. It's nice to be able to just play.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Happy WOYWW
    Sue #18

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue! Sorry to have gotten so behind. I don't know where the time has gone. Busy day today. you're right - it is nice to be able to play.
      Hope to see you next Wednesday if there's time
      Rose

      Delete
  7. Fun journal! I love the blue page - perfect background page! Thanks for your visit, sorry I'm so late! Lindart#37

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lindart! I'm the one who's REALLY been late. oh my goodness! Such a day today. Thanks for stopping over and for the kind comment.

      Delete
  8. Lovely to see you again Rose! I do remember your journal from a year ago! Goodness how time flies! We all need one of those play journals - in fact, ALL journals should be play journals, but I do still get a bit precious with some of mine. Thanks so much for visiting earlier - hope to see you again on WOYWW soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zsuzsa! It is good to see old friends. I've always admired your work very much. I've found it inspiring quite often.
      My goodness! You've got a good memory for details of my wrinkly old journal, haven't you? Lolz
      It was sitting, collecting dust on a shelf. Waiting for me to play with it. For a solid year. Lolz
      I like your idea that ALL journals should be play journals. Maybe I've made some of mine too precious, too?
      Happy (belated) WOYWW!

      Delete
  9. Glad you joined in again. I haven't completed this month's mission yet (although I've just bought the mini Mike stamps by IndigoBlu and thought I could use them as the 3 focal points). I love the ideas of the letters playing hooky from school. Such fun. happy WOYWW Sarah #25

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping by, Sarah! It's been nice to see what you all have been up to for a change. While I doubt that I'll be able to keep up by participating every time, I'll certainly try wherever possible.
      My letters started playing hooky a while back when I found that I needed to quickly rescue my modeling paste by adding some water! I've really been a neglectful creativore for about a year.
      See you soon!
      :)

      Delete
  10. Hi Rose, I love the journal. I've tried to get into those a few times but, they never stick. Thanks for visiting!
    Angie #30

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie! Journals aren't for everybody, I guess. I'm actually more into those than I am into greeting cards, tags and a lot of other fun things. But that's what's so great about the arts and crafts movement today : so many choices!
      :)

      Delete
  11. what great idea I have quite a stash of cardboard,boxes and bits to make into something( the will use that one day haul ) but not yet started with anything must check out your other posts ...i love that you have a msssy journal where anything goes..very free spirit.i admire that. sorry for late visiting having ongoing issues with pc /internet working for now !... I hope you have a great weekend ahead crafty hugs andrea x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea: Thanks so much - and guess who's also late today? What a great comment you've left here, well worth the wait.
      Sorry to hear about your internet issues. We had lightning nearby recently, so the 'puter had to be shut down twice. Good luck with your own issues!
      I recently posted a second way for us to use leftover cardboard here: colorful tiles inspired by a Shemi Dixon demo video. That's such a fun project! I hope to make some more of those soon too!
      Hope to see you next time

      Delete
  12. I love making journals and yours sounds great (love a bit of embossing paste too). Thanks for visiting my desk already

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kyla. It's nice to meet a fellow journal-making fan!
      Thanks for stopping by!
      :)

      Delete
  13. Loving your cereal box journal, do you have a post about how you constructed it perchance? Thanks for he visit to mine BJ#21

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there BJ and thanks for your interest! As a matter of fact, I did do a post over year ago on that cereal box book project. Lately, I'm wishing that I'd sealed the duct tape better to the inside of the cover. Not sure what I might do about that, but thought that I would mention it since you're interested. That post may be found by following a link labeled "HERE" in the 2nd paragraph underneath my first photo in this post.
      I'm still finding the brown paper a challenge, of course. It wrinkles even more every time that I play with it, which is a part of the messy fun.
      Dry brushing using my homemade gesso caused less wrinkling than using a loaded, wet brush. This required a couple of coats, tho'. I don't recommend too much wet brush work such as thinned color washes, etc unless your pages have already been properly sealed or unless you're interested in ironing them flat afterward.
      (yes I confess to having ironed paper in the past lolz)
      If you have any further questions, I'd be happy to offer what I can of what I learned while making that book.
      I've never done a full tutorial online, but will try and find the ones I learned from in order to refresh my memory as to the stitching technique used for that binding.
      Would that be of some use?
      Have a nice weekend!
      ;)

      Delete
  14. Got side tracked so am running late.
    Love the idea of your Rough Journal - I like reusing the Amazon folders, great for lots of things but now I need to visit more people and then come back to follow your links - sounds interesting and 'up my street'.
    Thanks for your visit to mine
    Hugs, Neet 1 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neet -Thank you for taking the time to leave such an intriguing comment. "Amazon folders"??? Do tell!!! I'm all ears, so to speak.
      And what have you used them for? i'd really like to learn more.
      Hope my links don't disappoint. It's all about messy fun and learning here. ;)
      xoxo
      Rose

      Delete
  15. You're not the only one running late. I have just got distracted since logging in on Wednesday but here now. I love messy projects and playing with different medium so this is right up my street. Have a great crafty weekend and a happy belated woyww, Angela x16x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela looks like we might be living creatively on the same fun street! thanks for taking the time to pop on by!
      Let's both make a few fun messes this weekend, shall we?
      ;)

      Delete
  16. Great fun, Rose, wonderful cheery colours and we love a bit of texture too..
    BTW I've a recipe for home made gelli plate that lasts years if you're interested it's the top post on my top posts listing on sidebar.
    Thanks for sharing your inspiration!
    Shaz in Oz.x 20

    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that useful tip, Shaz! I hope it wouldn't require any microwaving. I'm not really into nuked food, so I bought a toaster oven instead. ;)
      I'll try and pop by your place very soon!

      Delete
  17. I love a journal where you can 'go loose'... it's necessary to stay sane to mess around every now and then don't you think?! I love how the spread turned out. Hope you had a nice weekend and thanks for visiting my blog last week. I'm again late to visit you back but I made it before the next Wednesday *lol* Hug from Holland, Marit #23

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Marit! Who's "late"? Lolz I'm late in responding to your nice comment and was actually late in joining the party to begin with!
    I am glad we both enjoy such "loose" fun and that you enjoyed my 2 pager. Looking forward to seeing what you've been up to this coming Wednesday!
    xoxo Rose

    ReplyDelete