Wednesday, May 17, 2017

WOYWW #415 Cleaning + Altered Book Breaktimes

This book that I've slowly (10 years now!) been altering needs some love.

To join in this week's WOYWW, you can hop on over to Julia Dunnit's Stamping Ground where there is a Linky tool that allows her guests to join her weekly workdesk events. 

I really like this book for altering. It's fairly good sized, has a sewn binding and sturdy plain black covers, front and back. The spine seems a bit weak, but that can always be remedied, of course.  
:)

Here's a sneak peek at a few of the details. I've only recently added some gesso to one page, overtop of which went soft lavendar with mooshed in streaks of gold Perfect Pearl Powder. The splatters are of Mod Podge original formula with some copper Perfect Pearl blended in. More on that later.



Some of you know that I've really got too small a creative space nowadays for much storage. This means keeping things as simple as I can. I live life on a budget too, so anything that I might choose to buy I'd need to think about first like this: 1) Where do I put the thing? And 2) Would it be useful in enough ways to make storing it the thing to do?

The next photo shows some of what I've been working on this past week. The clutter is all about tidying up following clearing my Mini Mister set of that messy residual pigment. The zipper bags are waiting for their new home. 

Mini mister cleaning is...well...fairly messy! That turned out to be a bit of a tough and long project in and of itself. You see, using anything gooey such as thinned paint or (as I did) acrylic ink, with a Mini Mister is bound to clog and/or collect inside of the tiny parts that you can see but that nobody could reach without breaking into them. This led me to experimenting using the leftover liquid from a canister of Clorox Wipes for soaking. (No bleach in that formula, so please don't worry)


The first step, of course, was to break everything down into the separate parts. I even removed the little interior ring from inside the mouth of each container. Everything then got a nice, leisurely soak in the leftover Clorox wipe cleaning solution. I actually forgot that I'd left things that way for a few months, I've been so busy with other things.

I followed that step by rinsing everything well, wiping out residue using a corkscrew of paper toweling (that softer kind called Viva) I next filled each one with enough water to use for a spritzing final rinse. This worked! One benefit was a soft pink sprayed blur on some scrap paper that I may use someday. They may not look brand new, but they do look a lot cleaner. It's a cleaning tip...sort of. Lolz
:)

Now back to that book altering project! The 2 pager being added to on its left hand page.



And now for something else to do with my cleaning and reorganizing project. I like good quality PVA whenever I bind books that require some gluing, don't you? This bottle I've managed to keep now for years. And years. Long time. You see, I generally use stitching and folding techniques most of the time for the making of books nowadays. I sometimes need to rest my hands, and gluing in bookbinding can be very unforgiving if one cannot remain busy for long enough to make sure that everything comes out smoothly. That's how come there's still so much of it that remains still inside this bottle!

Hahaha!! It had a "hat" on when I removed the cap! Apparently, some of it had splashed to the top of the inside of the applicator tip when I was moving to where I now reside, where it dried, forming that funny looking "hat." I simply had to take a picture of it before removing that hat. I hope you can appreciate my strange sense of humor!
:)

The part which I think really has kept that old bottle so fresh was how I made certain to keep its tiny red cap snapped into place on the applicator tip along with placing the whole kit and kaboodle inside of a zipper bag. This last I always "burped" any excess air from just prior to closing. The final step was to wind a slender rubber band very tightly around the tip, bundling the plastic of the bag in place at the same time. For ten whole years, this has worked!

But then, perhaps that accidental and funny looking little "hat" has helped a bit too. Who knew that glue could help me out in such a funny way?
:)

See you all later today and Happy WOYWW!
Rose

30 comments:

  1. Late and last again. Electrical storms slowed progress. Sorry about this. On my way to visit everyone else's WOYWW posts!
    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was just looking at my one altered book today. I followed a course on-line by Elizabeth of http://alteredbooklover.blogspot.co.uk/
    It's a great way to reuse something isn't it.
    Thanks for the visit today, glad it gave you repose. BJ#4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BJ Thank you for stopping over. I really needed that break at your place. Your post for today is so pleasant that I had to thank you. And now I'll thank you for giving me the link too! Thank you!
      Hope to make a new ATC set for my Friday Freebie. I have n't had enough time for anything other than decluttering and making messes while doing so, however. Lolz
      ;)

      Delete
    2. I know that place!I recognized the banner there instantly. Thanks again!

      Delete
  3. Hi Rose, it looks like you've been too busy cleaning stuff to do any crafting Lol! I have to say I like my tools nice and clean and tend to clean things when I've used them, at least most of the time. I think they work better that way. you know in some respects having a small space is good as it stops you buying stuff that you might not use just because you have room to store it. Thanks for the visit to mine and happy woyww, Angela x15x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping by, Angela! You are right. I am trying to take a little art break or two using journaling, but I have not been able to truly craft anything in a while. My creative corner is really in a state of chaos at this time. LOlz. Perhaps next month I'll have gotten everything under control? One hopes.
      Hope we meet up again next week!

      Delete
  4. You look like you're well organised. I'm lucky to have a crafting space now that my kids are grown. It was amazing to see where I had stashed stuff. I like your thinking about buying something. I admit that I splurged this last week but not too often. Your altered book is looking great!

    Happy WOYWW
    Sharon K #29

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind comment, Sharon! Sorry to be so late in responding. I had to turn off my computer for a while. Electrical storm.
      I only wish that I could honestly claim to be as organized as some pf our fellow deskers. The truth is, I'm in the middle of a bit of an organizing muddle at the moment. It's a mess. I still am trying to figure out whether or not to shift direction in terms of placement of my storage. I hope to be able to report to my fellow deskers in the coming weeks as to any progress.
      ;)
      I splurged on a few items last year. Today, I'm promising myself to not splurge at all again until everything can finally be settled. We shall see what develops!
      I may have to skip next week's hop, so Happy WOYWW in advance just in case.

      Delete
  5. It's always a good idea to clean but it's no fun! LOL. Getting dirty is the fun part. Thanks for visiting me earlier. Dorlene #39

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dorlene you are so right! Lolz Ah well. I'm all for it right now. Somehow I managed to try and get creative and crafty with my organizing just a tiny wee bit today. I'd better watch it and not allow that whim to take over, though!
      Thanks for popping by!
      :)

      Delete
  6. So much to see! I love the coppery page - it catches the light so beautifully. As for the 'Glue Hat - well, had me giggling here so much that the family are wondering what I'm up to in my little craft room :D I'm actually trying out several different types of glue, trying to find the best all-rounder for paper crafting. I do love the Scotch Quick Dry (which has now changed it's name!) and also Fabri-tac. I just loather paying over-the-odds inflated prices for a brand name :(
    Thanks for stopping by my desk earlier - Have a fantastic Wednesday and rest of the week :)
    Bubbles #22
    http://patchworkapples.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/woyww-415.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bubbles! Thanks for stopping here for a bit to leave me your fun comment. Sorry this response is so late in coming. Thunderstorms forced a sudden shutdown time for a while.
      Thanks for liking my 2pager's copper part. It's copper painted over the book's black title page for one chapter.
      I have a thing for copper - well, that is to say, for metallics in general, copper and gold the best.
      Glad you enjoyed my funny wee glue hat! Lolz. I busted up laughing the very moment I first saw it. We yanks need a good laugh nowadays, what with the politics here int he states being so messy. And there I go again - crediting GLUE for helping me! Lolololz.
      As for glues or adhesives in general, I find myself really "stuck" (har har) on using various glues for different things.
      For example, when I wanted to laminate 2 pages of one of my art journals together recently, I chose to use my Liquitex Heavy Matte gel Medium. It's fairly versatile. The heavy body of it makes it thicker. I actually like to "age" it, too. I keep one older container and one fresher. The more geriatric it gets, the better I like it as the more like a paste it will become. I have to take special care of it sometimes in order to prevent it going off or hardening into a solid block. That actually happened to me once.
      :)
      I've tried glue stick glue before as well, with mixed results. My favorite for serious "construction" jobs such as turning a book into a box or making something 3D using cardboard is good old fashioned PVA. And that can age just a little bit as well. The thicker the better.
      Here in the states, there is a product known as Yes Paste. Though I've never tried it, friends did swear by its efficacy at one point. Do they offer that product on your side of the puddle?
      Thanks again for leaving e such a nice;y thought-provoking comment!
      Got my "grey cells" going again as to what I should stock up on once my reset is finished.

      Delete
  7. I just love seeing folks' work in progress...
    Thanks for the visit and your lovely comment :)
    Happy WOYWW, Claire no. 25

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire. Me too! That's one of the reasons I really enjoy watching tutorials and things of that sort. Shel C's Ocotillo Studio is one of my favorites to date. So much fun watching her really get into her projects! Very inspiring.
      Thanks again for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Hi Rose,

    Your number has changed to 41.

    Looks like you are ready for your next crafting project.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Happy WOYWW
    Sue #18

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue Hahaha yes, I was finally able to get out from under some stormy weather just long enough to find out the list had grown.
      :) That made it all the more fun!
      Wish that I could say that my creative corner was already as put together as it'd need to be for my next project. That project could take months to complete, too, which is how come I am reorganizing beforehand.
      Thanks for the nice visit!

      Delete
  9. I really love the colour of that journal page - the soft lavender metallicy sheen is just beautiful. The glue hat made me laugh!!
    Hugs, LLJ 6 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LLJ Thanks for the kind words about my altered book/journal. That 2 pager needed updating. I later added a few dabs of copper to the marbled paper in the middle, too. But the lavendar-! I can see we both enjoy that color.
      Shall I put on my own glue hat for you now? Lolz
      C;-D

      Delete
  10. Looks like your altered book is a labour of love. I seem to have a whole range of different glues for different uses. Always nice when you can turn to one reliable glue. Thanks for visiting me earlier.
    sandra de @3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sandra! Thanks for stopping by! That "labour of love," as you've very kindly called it, had been neglected for ages!
      I guess we can all agree that everybody has a favorite adhesive that they would rather not do without.
      :)

      Delete
  11. I love the copper of the journal page! I'm not sure I wold have the patience for cleaning those mini misters-good for you!Glue - the bane of my existence. I have such trouble kith lids of glue, and getting the glue to come out of the little nozzles - I usually just have to take the nozzles off and stick a chopstick in to get my glue! That little hat is cute though! Thanks for sharing, Lindart #33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Lindart! There are a few kinds of glue that do lend themselves well to art making processes. I seldom use anything glue-ish. I am much more of a Heavy Matte Gel Medium gal. For this 2 pager, though, allowing things to shine made me switch to my old standby, Mod Podge.
      I like using chopsticks in art too!
      ;)

      Delete
  12. goodness you are well organised Rose and I love your tiried storage caddy ,,sorry my brain is a bit foggy today and I've forgotten the name for it ..happens all teh time now and is very frustrating. I know I'm ever so lucky to have the space I do. your copper page is amazing sucha rich and sumptous( not sure of spelling ) result of all the metallics its my favourite. you namde me chuckle about your story with the glue and great pic of the hat... I will be checking all my diffrent bottles whenever I use them now..LOL and I'm sure its helped !..well done with the cleaning sounds like a time consuming but well executed plan. have a great and crafty week ahead and belated woyww wishes and crafty hugs andrea#42 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea! Oh my goodness! You would not tell me that I am "well organised" if you could see what I couldn't show! Lolz There is a genuine mess in that corner at the moment, including some things stacked all higgledy-piggledy. Like a regular tower of Pisa in one spot! I could not get a really decent shot of it at that point, at least not without dropping the camera. You see,tt's rather cramped back in there at this time. I'd have needed to hang from a trapeze or something for an aerial shot! Lolz
      I'm glad you and a few others could find my glue's "hat" funny too. I still giggle when I think of it . Glad you liked it too.
      A big crafty hug to you too! xo
      :)

      Delete
  13. "Mooshed" and "Smooshed" are words, along with others we use that should be put in the dictionary. They are essential to our trade.
    Love how you 'mooshed' streaks of PPearls into the first pages you showed us and the coppery page is a firm favourite - love copper.
    Had a smile at the cleaning session, kind of thing I do.
    Just be careful with glue - it can cause havoc!
    Hugs, Neet xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neet Oh-you are too right! They really should be in the dictionary. After all, both words are now technical terms in the private lexicons of tons of artsy-craftsy folks ! Good idea.
      That project is such a slow thing for me to work at. I've been slowed for years owing to some health issues that I don't want to bore people with. I have to break things down into short but effective steps. There's nothing speedy about what I can do anymore. But at least I can still take those steps, right?
      ;)
      Thanks for your interest in the process. I'm glad we both like copper. My brand is an older small pot of Jacquard brand metallic acrylic paint. I have 2 of these, 1 copper and 1 bronze. I can hardly believe how fortunate I am that they've never dried up or became unusable after all the years I've kept them in my creative arsenal.
      Thanks so much for stopping by!
      :) xo

      Delete
  14. Wow you have been busy cleaning. Now you can have the fun of getting everything messy again. Love the look of that book. Sarah #17

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for your kind comment on the book, Sarah!
      Actually, I have to laugh - I'm not done cleaning yet.
      Not long after my pics were taken, things got pulled apart and everything's now in a state of limbo. Initially, I wasn't planning on making as many changes as I am now. I have a plan, tho', so that's always good, right?
      Hope I'll soon be able to have something to show for all the mess I've made! Lolz
      :)

      Delete
  15. ha love the hat :) your lucky it was just a small spot to remove and you didn't have to replace the whole bottle.

    I love the colors in the swirly parts of the books spine. Thanks for the earlier visit, ~Stacy #35

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Stacy
      C:-) <<<Hat
      hahahaha You are right - I am lucky that I get to keep most of that glue! Thanks for liking my marble "swirly" bit in my altered book. I like it too.
      xo

      Delete