Tuesday, March 8, 2016

A Book with an Edge

Starring the Handy Woman's Secret Weapon!

This month, Carolyn Dube's "Let's Play!" theme is all about things that we can find at the hardware store.

Duct Tape is in a class by itself as far as hardware items are concerned. As far as I know, there is nothing more versatile than this extremely sticky and rugged tape. People use it for temporary repairs on car parts, to seal things such as boxes, and even sometimes as a handy art supply.

I'd used it before, of course. I think that most of us surely have. I'd also made a little art using it, as well, one time for a special altered book show years ago. Another time, it was a weirdly wild little ATC card. I used a big, black Sharpie pen with it. That was fun!

This time, I made a book cover using a cereal box and a number of other materials. I finished the pages and the binding last night. This was ten times more fun than my prior two projects!
:)

I made a sort of photo diary of this project. This starts with the "bones" of my book, that is the structure upon which the text block will hang once sewn into place: the cover. I have to tell you that the cover and I had words at more than one tough moment! I am still not satisfied with everything about it, and already plan to alter it to suit the look I wish to achieve.

So here's that very, very, very long photo diary!


1.) Cereal Box



2.) First layer of Duct Tape



3.) A Distressed Lining



The lining is from an old book of scrapbook paper. I used 2 different but similar ones for the lining. I distressed all edges using an old Rubber Stampede Coffee Bean stamp pad. Having kept that well loved stamp pad in a ziploc bag for years has made it last a very long time--at least 6 years! I have never re-inked it, but have kept it for one thing only, that it adds a distressed look that won't budge if any moisture touches it.


4.) Materials and Tools on Display!



I don't show everything in the above picture, but you get the point, I'm sure. I'll give a list later on in this post. The white template on the book's inside cover (over its spine area) was used to gauge where to place the holes prior to binding. This was later removed.



5.) Junk Journal Spine


The spine may have a rougher look, a kind of "edgy" look to it, but it's a rugged enough book to take some hard knocks!



6.) Junk Journal Pages 1



Photos 6 and 7 show the signatures I'd already cut and folded. These are the pages before binding. A signature, for those who've never tried binding their own book before, is a collection of folded sheets, generally (although not always) sized the same way. Here I've shown how I chose to use rougher paper than I normally might to fit with the rugged look of the duct tape cover. All except, of course, for 2 sheets from a recent monoprint adventure (that's in my "No-Gelli Print" post from last month). You can see one of those in Photos 7 and 8, just below.



7.) Pages 2




8.) Sewn Pages 1


Some of you are familiar with my first blog, Plush Possum Studio, a Free Graphics place. If you are one of those people, you might recall my "Favorite Things" posts there, including my "brown paper packages" themed set. I confess it--I just love to play with brown paper. That is, most brown art supplies in general. In Photos 6, 8 and 9 are shown pages cut out of old brown paper items like old paper sacks. Mainly, I've used packing paper. The wrinkles make me happy. How could anybody resist such lovely old folds and wrinkles! Plus, I even added some purposeful tearing at the top and front edges.



9.)More Sewn Pages




10.) Room to Grow



Photo 10 has 2 points to make. The first is how I bound my junk journal with room for stuffing it full of lots of collage and other fun things. the second is that I had a remnant of some very unique crinkled two-tone green paper, and thought it would look fun with the brown wrinkly pages already chosen for this book.

Materials, Techniques and Tools List:

--empty cereal box
--3M Duct Tape (every handy person's secret weapon!)
--waste paper (used paper bags and brown packing paper)
--Stiletto (for poking holes during binding)
--3m Gluestick (all out of Uhu)
--needle and waxed linen thread
--old scrapbook sheets
--2 black card stock monoprints
--discarded manila file folders (for templates + easy sizing of pages)
--ruler
--scissors, pencil, marker
--5 hole pamphlet stitch technique (I needed to brush up on that a bit over at YouTube first)

No bone folders were harmed in the making of this project.
:)
Yes, I really do have one, but I wanted this new fun junky journal to be fully what it is, and not to be refined.

Well I guess that would be all for this particular "Let's Play!" adventure.
Thank you for stopping by!
~Rose













10 comments:

  1. This looks awesome, Rose! The rugged duct tape will sure keep the cover nice and sturdy. Would love to see your pages as you fill them with more art! Loving the colours in it already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww aren't you sweet?
      Thanks so much for encouraging this process.
      I haven't put anything in it yet, but I am thinking that to continue the theme, I may try using some pages as brayer or brush wiping places. this could really make it look wildly different to anything I've ever made before.
      :)

      Delete
  2. Fabulous book- and duct tape is just so much fun to use! Thanks for sharing with Let's Play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn!
      Thanks for stopping by!
      Yes--I confess to being a big fan of that grey, sticky stuff.
      I may try this a little differently in future.
      :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing how you do these books!

    Have a great week!
    A late WOYWWér
    Sussie, nr 44.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I really appreciate your positive feedback.
      Time for me to pay you avery late visit!
      :)

      Delete
  4. Love your journal Rose! It is well put together and has fabulous texture within those crunchy brown pages! I love the two toned green papaer as well! Very nice to see what you have done! Tfs Cheers, Ginny :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you, Ginny! I guess us crinkle lovers need to stick together sometimes. I like the word you've chose: "crunchy." Great way to describe our lovely brown paper. I doubt I'll ever again find that crinkled green paper. I've only ever seen it in one place--a place that was going out of business.
      It was very nice of you to come by! I enjoyed our meeting very much, and will look forward to viewing more of your videos!
      :)

      Delete
  5. gosh you are clever ...i dont hav eteh skills to do anything so compliacte dbut what great inspiration andrea x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea You're so kind. I'll bet you could do this too! Do you know how to sew, how to use a needle and thread? If so, then you could do this project. There's a fun tutorial video at YouTube about how to do stitched binding. Would you like a link?
      Also, your library might have a few books on the subject of this kind of bookbinding. I like to keep things simple. I never use a bindery frame or anything fancy. It's more a matter of measuring. I like to use a cardboard template for the marking process.
      BTW, if I had it to do again, I'd be using fabric instead of duct tape
      See you soon!

      Delete