Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Homemade Stencil Play

...or fussy cutting for hours...and hours...

LOL I have to laugh at such an ambition. Sometimes I simply can't wait to see the end result of a new idea, and tend to jump in feet first before considering the amount of time it all could take.

This project had to be done in incremental steps. Details, details, details. I learned how creating a stencil is all about the little fiddly bits and details.

So I had to first find some easy-to-follow instructions at YouTube. I already knew that I had some leftover packing tape from a previous move in my hardware drawer, so that was a cinch. I'd recently finally discovered where I'd put my best cutting mat, and knew that I had new blades for my craft knife. So that seemed OK. 

What surprised me was how I gravitated toward my scissors instead. I guess that I knew how hard it might be to cut all of the curves and curls in my design as neatly using the knife as it would be to do so using my scissors.

The cutting process seemed to take forever, especially the fussier parts, and yet I'm glad that I made the effort.

Step one was a sketch which I later colored into and remade a little. I wanted it to look like curling strands of hair tossed by wind...or something like that. I can dream, right?
:)

Step Two involved fussing with the packing tape. Strips of this can (supposedly) overlap one another slightly until a surface is completely laminated. And without wrinkling. In my case, for some reason, wrinkling could not be avoided, no matter how hard I tried. The photo below does not capture every single little wrinkle in my packing tape strips. Despite that little hitch, the cutting part works out well enough so that I chose to use the stencil regardless.

So I spent a few minutes here, a half an hour there (HOURS all told), and so on, fussy cutting my brains out while listening to some music.

Due to the sheer fussiness and effort of making a first stab at creating a stencil, I neglected to make a photo record of most of the steps. In fact, I skipped everything except the two final parts, the stencil itself and the page I used it for.

Playtime Materials Included:
-a page from a drawing pad
-lots of clear packing tape (applied to both sides, and not very neatly)
-pencil, eraser, etc.
-2 sizes of scissors, one regular and one teensy
-pigment ink pad
-my Canson Field All Media spiral book
-acrylic paint
-watercolors
-previously monoprinted Canson page (see my last post)
-Mod Podge for paper
-micah powder (Perfect Pearls brand) in 2 colors, gold and white


Here's my result:




And here's how my journal looks:
(with very bad lighting--full spectrum bulb is toast)


The left hand page began as the earlier
monoprint cleanup pull mentioned
in my most recent post.
To that monoprint cleanup was added 
Mod Podge mixed with Watercolor pigment.

The page to be stenciled was painted first, then spattered using Mod Podge for a medium with Perfect Pearls to lend spotty glimmer. After the first coats had dried, I used the stencil along with my pigment ink pad in Dragonfly Black (which is a really lovely deep, dark green).

It's fun playing this way with my new journal, and I'm looking forward to this month's new Play prompt of Hardware.
:)




8 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic Rose and it's all your own! I've seen some amazing stencils all hand cut. I could never find the patience for it myself, I'm afraid. I've even bought a stencil cutter (burning tool) but I only used it once with limited success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zsuzsa!
      :) Thanks so much for the vote of confidence. This was quite a new experience for me. I found it fun, if tedious.
      What kind of acetate r plastic did you use when you first tried your burner? I'm curious. Was there a smell from it (i.e. fumes)?

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous stencil! Thanks for sharing with Let's Play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carolyn! It's fun playing this way.
      :)
      You have no idea how long I've waited to try making a stencil.
      And now I am hooked on it! Thanks to your challenges, I keep on trying new stuff and re-trying old stuff.

      Delete
  3. I think the stencil is amazing.And the pages you used it look great. The color and texture have a lot of depth.I love cutting my own stencils by hand, too.We don't have these fancy cutters in Turkey.Did you have a problem with the overlapping of tape? I usually make use of leftover transparent sheets or plastic packaging to cut the stencils. Scissors work fine on them.Have a nice week...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,Özge!
      Thanks for coming by! I have no fancy cutter here, either. I used 2 sizes of scissors for the design. Mainly, I used the smaller pair.
      Yes, I did have a very big problem with the overlapping of tape. I also have some acetate pages , but that did not seem right for this project. I'd like to make another one very soon. Using leftover plastic sheets is a very good idea! How clever of you to have thought of it!
      Wishing a lovely week for you too!
      :)

      Delete
  4. Rose....this is just wonderful!! Wow...all that fiddly cutting would be enough to drive me batty(-er)! I totally love the swirly design and the journal pages are gorgeous. The splotchy Perfect Pearls mixed with MP looks just fabulous!! LOVE these so much.
    <3 J

    jwoolbright at gmail dot com
    HerPeacefulGarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Janis!
      Thanks for your encouragement. It's appreciated. When we are experimenting, I think that sometimes we miss the input of others.
      :)
      I wish that I could photograph this better. There is a lamp problem.
      Regardless, thank you so much for taking a little time out of your busy day to leave me such a nice comment. I am still smiling.

      Delete