Sunday, January 10, 2016

Journal Page 1: Leaves in a Forest

Following Carolyn Dube's prompt

I saw what she had done using envelopes, then remembered another project of mine from years past. I like the "innards" of security envelopes. I also like the way they tend to take Pigment inks.

When I started this page, I had no idea what I wanted to do. I have a healthy respect for people who can do such things on the fly. Usually, it takes me days or weeks of processing ideas just to get this far.

The page started with an old coptic bound watercolor journal. The binding I did myself, in hopes of making the original hardback book flatten for me when open. The paper is not as fine as I'd like. It does tend to buckle and also to allow washes to seep. On the other hand, I like its creamy, deckled edge appeal. (sorry-the brand name escapes me)

The page was "framed" in a color wash of my favorite Sepia acrylic ink. I applied coffee colored pigment stamp ink to the torn envelope's inside look of black and white hatch marks. Over this then went a small watercolor sketch from a different pad. For this I used Inktense watercolor pencils for the sake of delicacy and speed.
My only adhesive throughout was Liquitex Matte Gel Medium.

The leaves I had gathered from a walkway in front of my door. The wind had shuffled a small pile of last fall's leaves into a tiny crevice. These begged to have their portraits done. That was my first real inspiration in ages. Behind and within the Sepia frame I chose to make a spontaneous "mask" out of blue painter's tape to evoke a sense of space with trees. The soft, pretty blue is from a stamp pad which had never before been opened. It is from Studio G, a pigment chalk ink with no name. This I applied using an Inkssentials pad and applicator, fading down as I went.

I framed out the leaves with some fibrous paper of some sort--we'll call it "mystery paper." I probably never had to buy that piece. Instead, I more than likely acquired it at a swap of some sort, several years ago.




Years ago, I used to paint at every single opportunity. Years ago, I wrote in journals and embellished nearly everything I could. This week's new adventure using my old inks, paints and stamp pads has been like a trip down memory lane for me. It has also taught me that many of my supplies need replacing!

And one other thing. Despite the lack of supplies, including the right brush for the job, buckling sheets of the wrong kinds of paper, and a few interruptions, I made it to the finish line today. I know I am not early to the party, but at least I know that I've arrived.
:)

~Rose


4 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic, Rose! I can't believe those are recycled envelopes! Love the vintage feel and the inclusion of the natural leaves. I'm so happy you rediscovered your passion for art and the joy of creating. Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Zsuzsa!
    Thank you so much for your encouraging words. Also, only one recycled envelope was used, for the diagonal backdrop linking the leaves to the brown frame.
    :)

    ReplyDelete