Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Creative Play Begins Again

Time to revive an old journal

Well, I've done it. It took me several days to get things going for this 2 page spread. It is not what I was aiming for, yet I am growing more positive about it, and I think that's good.

The inner critic was very severe on this one. I very nearly did not post it. Today, however, I thought that I would take another look at it and try and figure out why I did not like it at first. Thank you, Carolyn, for making this easier.
:)

Carolyn's Theme
This time, I carved the end of an old bottle cork that someone had given me. It had to be a simple enough pattern in order to make a repeat pattern border. I like how rough it is, and how it varies from impression to impression. It would normally be a throwaway object, if ever there was one.

Tools and Media
The mixed media piece incorporates watercolor with pigment ink pads and acrylic sepia ink (bottle type), along with collage. The collaged leaves are from a pack of small, lined pages meant for a pocket organizer of some sort. These were a lucky thrift store find. I thought that I might add a few words or a poem or good quote to these page leaves, but I ended up leaving them blank.

Other things used include an old Canson All Media spiral bound journal, a spray bottle for the ink mixture, a hand cut stencil, a pre-made stencil for letters, brushes, matte gel medium (my fave journal adhesive of all time), a vintage adjustable office stamp for the date, Sharpie markers, and (weirdly) liquid paper. The right hand wears a friendly butterfly, while the left is a tree that's sheltered a pretty moth. The collaged magazine words above the moth are "for and about emerging." The words at the bottom of the spread are, "To be an artist is to believe in life." It is a quote from UK sculptor, Henry Moore. 

I believe that each one of us is creative, and this makes everybody an artist in different ways.

Here is the spread.



10 comments:

  1. This is totally cool! I can't believe you didn't want to post it at first! I like the idea of carving the cork! I might still have one lying around from a New Year's Eve champagne bottle, so I can try it. Great play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay! Apparently, this blog does not show me there are new comments. I need to go hunting for any.
      Go figure,
      Thank you, Zsuzsa, for that kind comment. I love my cork stamp so much, that when I found a blank one yesterday, I was very happy!
      :)
      Play on!

      Delete
  2. Wow - so fun! This is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support!
      Carolyn's attitude is what changed my thinking. I can give full credit to her for jump-starting this old art journal back to life!

      Delete
  3. Love this and love that you posted it! It can be scary to share our art. Your courage will inspire others to take the leap and share...but I have to say I am happy you posted for a very selfish reason...I loved seeing your work and those swishes of color under the finger tips! Thanks for sharing with Let's Play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)
      What a nice comment you've left here! Thank you so much!
      To be honest, I am still nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs about showing this 2 pager.
      Your kind comment about the swipes of color (the part I thought I wanted to get rid of, yet could not!) is making me think again.
      THANK YOU for that.

      Delete
  4. I love hands on art journal pages! Really Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We both love the same thing! I have devoted an entire older journal to nothing but hands.
      :)
      It can be fun to keep a "Hand Book"

      Delete
  5. Darn, I chucked out some old corks. Great job turning the hands into a really really interesting journal spread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh! Thanks so much for your kind response.
      I now wish that I had more corks to play around with too!
      LOL And I am a tea-totaller, too!
      :)

      Delete