Saturday, February 13, 2016

Finger Painting the New Art Journal

My favorite!

Make mine a Canson All Media spiral notebook anytime, and I am generally pleased. This treat to myself arrived this past week. Despite changes in heft and quality, I have to say that I am genuinely pleased by the results of a first messy go at my very first journal page in it.

I've abused this page, but that's my habit. When books can take a variety of media and still keep their shape for the most part, this works best for me. I like using lots of wet media and experimenting in my pages. I'm not shy about it: I like to make messes using journal pages. (Actually, arty messes in general)

Step One: Bubble printing using acrylics, a recycled drinking straw, a little bit of dish soap, and a recycled salad greens box, remembering to photograph the first part of this very badly.
:)




Next, I waited for the bubbles to disperse from the printed page enough to know how much more color needed to be added. This time, I went with finger painting using acrylics and watercolors + RichArt Pearl colored Glossy Tempera Paint. I also used some Mod Podge this time, mixing it with the watercolors and the tempera and mooshing these all over the already printed page using my fingers.




Messiness is my modus operandi. I had to use a fair number of paper towels in the process.
:)

Here's a close-up of the page's surface.



I think it may be possible to spot the bubble pattern left by the acrylics, etc. While the paint was still tacky, I added 2 torn remnants of gridded rice paper.



Next, after things were done drying, I used items from my ephemera files for the alphabet letters for the words, "New Art Book."



The final step led to this.

I knew I needed to loosen up. I was so uptight during my first projects for the Let's Play weekly link parties! Being given "permission" to play and use childish creative means has to be my new favorite way to lighten up and become more playful during creative time.

Materials and Tools List:
Canson Montval Field All Media pad (from Dick Blick online); watercolors by Daniel Smith and Windsor & Newton; acrylics by Jacquard and Liquitex; my old reliable Mod Podge; RichArt pearl colored Glossy Tempera paint; gridded rice paper; various ephemera; a drinking straw; a repurposed salad greens box; dish soap; a chopstick from the local Asian food place; scissors (2 sizes); chip board alphabet letters (traced around but not used directly on the page).

Best ingredient of all? The FUN factor!
:)








4 comments:

  1. Super project, Rose! Two things were new to me: bubble printing (must try!) and the grid type rice paper (must buy!). Glad you're finding it easier to loosen up now. For me, it depends on my mood - I can go from super-free to super uptight in two seconds! I've just realized I used 'super' three times in this short comment - and now four, LOL! Why not make it five: have a Super Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL It's a bird! It's a plane! No-- It's Super Zsuzsa~!!!
      :)
      My first try at bubble printing was for this page, even tho' I'd been planning on trying it for years. I ended up NOT photographing the part which would work.
      Sorry about that.
      I tried 3 (count 'em--3) different containers for the mess prior to finding one that would actually give me some real results. This was a cheap throw-away roasting pan.
      I was going purely by experimental mode LOL. No instructions. I wanted to follow my mood which was all about action and not much thought.
      I recommend using a SHALLOW and WIDE dish for bubble printing. Also, go easy on the dish soap, if any is used. i'd try it without first. Very little water, less than I used. Maybe 2 inches in depth. I wasted loads of paint and pigment on this project.
      Not to worry, though. I collected the remains of the mess in 2 jars and am allowing their contents to settle and stratify.
      Eventually, I will skim away any excess liquid and try this again.
      Acrylics work best.
      Oh. One more thing. Allow your pages to completely dry and all fluffy bubbles to settle and fade like soap bubbles will do. Afterwards, other media may be added.
      Let me know how yours turns out! I'm already ready to try this again!
      :)

      Delete
  2. Bubbles and color = joy! And that grid rice paper...oh my oh my that is scrumptious texture! Kids do know how to play- glad you've let yourself be free to let loose! So glad you're a part of Let's Play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, Carolyn!
      :)
      Thank you so much for taking the time to visit this post. I know you're pretty busy. And thank you once more for providing opportunities (read: "excuses") for people to let loose their inhibitions and just PLAY.
      "Scrumptious texture" is a perfect way to describe that gridded rice paper. Myself, I'm in love with the stuff. It collages beautifully, too. I can still feel its texture even once it's been Podged into place.
      Who's for more playtime? We are!
      :)

      Delete