Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Don't Think...

...and make a great big mess.

That's what I tried for this afternoon's chance at creating a new journal page. Well, 2 pages, that is.

My messy recipe?
1 empty shampoo bottle
shelf liner remnant
paint (acrylic and watercolor)
white gesso
Mod Podge (as an adhesive and as a medium)
Neglected (for years!) foam alphabet stamps
2" flat gesso brush
various homemade stamps from found objects
Canson journal notebook

If you're anything like me, you probably generally try and overthink everything instead of just being relaxed. I am the thinking sort, even during creative time. I am trying to not think so hard about outcomes or finished looks in order to hopefully flex some creative muscles. This was hard because I started off by thinking too much about not thinking too much. If that makes any sense.

So today I decided that I would not allow myself to think too much and that I was going to not care either way how the pages might turn out. Which was a good strategy, because this is very unlike anything I've ever done before. A genuine, gloppy and smeary mess.

I'd already glued the shelf liner piece to the old shampoo bottle last weekend, so it had already dried and was ready for use. After that, I'd tried an experiment using some little pots of soft toned paint which I'd found at a thrift store a few years ago. This worked fairly well, although I had to hurry an awful lot before the paint would dry in order to apply colors to the makeshift shampoo roller. 

Today's experiment went less well as far as messiness was concerned. I went with it anyway, and now have a new 2 pager. It's smeared in spots as well as spotty, but I am learning not to care too much about such things. After all, it's not for an art show or anything that important. It's Playtime!


Mess Photo 1


(definitely not my normal style)

Mess Photo 2


Mess Photo 3



Mess photo 4

"Don't think!"

Though I know that I could do better, I am willing to let it all be about the moment. It just is what it turned out to be. If I were to choose to add anything else to it later on, it might spoil that spontaneous, childlike look.
:)

Next month's shopping list will no doubt include a new paint set. (It's amazing just how much of my old sets spoiled while I was on "hiatus.") And maybe some inks. And perhaps 2 new brushes. Or maybe a new bottle of Gloss medium.
And...and...and...




9 comments:

  1. Great play, Rose! Love your homemade paint roller! I have some old alphabet foam stamps too. Hmm, what could I do with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zsuzsa!
      :)
      Thanks! I rather enjoy my new homemade paint roller. I have a couple more bottles to add texture to. I am waiting for the inspirational moment, the "Aha!" of knowing what to glue onto the next one!
      Either that, or I will have to get out my Speedball set and make a new rubber stamp. heck! I've got 2 brayers, and i have not used either one in probably 5 years.
      Hmmmmmmm.........
      I say, Go for it! with your alphabet letters!
      :)

      Delete
  2. It totally makes sense the thinking about not thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)
      I know, right?
      Can we take it a step further by thinking about not thinking about not thinking??
      LOLOL
      I do think way, way too much sometimes.

      Delete
  3. NOW....I HAVE FOUND IT!!! I have stumbled on the real-live, messy, genuine, authentic cousin of the Plush Possum Studio! I totally adore the elegance, grace, and beauty of PPS, but here is where I can make a home. :) Please consider putting a "Follow by Email" gadget on your sidebar, because that is the easiest way for me to follow all your adventures here.

    Thank you for your kind words on my blog posts and for becoming a follower!!
    <3 J

    jwoolbright at gmail dot com
    HerPeacefulGarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLOL Welcome to my (extremely) messy blogging home away from home, Janis! Please do make yourself at home here, too. Lots of messes going on, and it's fun to think somebody will join me here who sees it as you have described.
      :)
      "Elegance, grace and beauty"? Golly! Thanks! So nice of you to say that.
      I guess that I've tended to see PPS as a bargain hunter's freebie blog where some things are a bit wonky while some other things do (only just) pass muster.
      :)
      Seriously, both blogs are more about learning than anything else.
      And I will most certainly consider adding a "Follow by email" doodad here, just for you.
      Thanks for stopping by, and do please feel free to pop on over anytime for any reason.

      Delete
    2. Your follow by email doodad is up and ready for you to use!
      :)

      Delete
  4. Your pages turned out wonderfully! Thanks for sharing with Let's Play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carolyn!
      Thanks for encouraging people to play!
      :)

      Delete