Wednesday, December 20, 2017

WOYWW #446: Happy Mail + a Mistake

Happy WOYWW to my fellow deskers! 

For my guests who've never played along, you can follow the link, HERE, to Julia Dunnit's wonderful blog to find out more about her fun weekly blog hop.

Note: Please forgive my lack of comments this week. The eye has not wanted to cooperate lately, and has even been somewhat painful at times. This calls for more rest than I'd care to have, but (thanks to Shaz and Shoshi for the new term) this is the "new norm," so I might as well get accustomed to it. 

I haven't been an active participant in weeks, but I really have been otherwise occupied. Mostly, there's been a fair amount of Mail Art to get together, along with some Happy Mail for others who were kind enough earlier in the season to have sent me some very lovely surprises.

Happy Mail is so delightful, isn't it? Sometimes, it is a good excuse for being creative. I sometimes need an excuse, so that's really been fun for me. Recently, I was the recipient of some very pretty and creative Happy Mail from Becky at Aunt Bec's Creations. I know her mostly from her YouTube channel (which you may find by following the link HERE). Her channel features loads of fun videos, including some live streams. She and her hubby, Scott, also keep a blog together HERE.

Now to show you her wonderful Happy Mail creations! I used Photoshop to hide the 2 addresses.




Inside that glistening and richly decorated envelope, I found an example of her pretty, handmade seasons greetings. Gotta love it!



But wait - there's more! 
An entire decoratively cinched bundle of her handmade Painty Papers! Sheer awesomeness!!!





Here's what they all looked like together on my desk.
Aren't they pretty?





And now, last and certainly least, my big Mistake.



I really blew it on this one, which made my afternoon yesterday just miserable. Yes, Tuesday was a dismal day at the workdesk, during which my poor eyesight and its accompanying bad aim (a.ka. clumsiness) caused the utter ruination of my saguaro cactus greeting card art, above. 

The idea seemed simple enough for me to complete. I had a watercolor block that I thought would be just right for the purpose of doing a color wash style of a desert sunset using glazes. To that, I would add a paper cutting like a silhouette of a cactus on a hillside which would be decorated with holiday lights. Such a decorating technique has been used for years by people in the desert southwest of the USA, btw. The family member I was intending to make this card for lives in the desert, so this seemed appropriate.

What had seemed simple enough turned out to have been much too challenging for me, as my eyes simply weren't cooperative enough. While you won't be able to see the big final Mistake which ruined all of my painstaking work, you must trust me when I say that it was a complete mess at the end that couldn't be repaired. A mess is not what I had been aiming to send to a family member, but that's what I got in the end, a mess. It was actually a strangely tough project all through.

If it had not been for Becky sending me such good cheer with her pretty Happy Mail, I doubt I'd be joining you this week. So a great big Thank You to Becky of Aunt Bec's Creations !!!!!!

For those interested in viewing more of her creative spirit at work, she can also be spotted on Facebook HERE.

Happy WOYWW and Happy Holidays to my fellow deskers!!!
:)

30 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you joined to show us this beautiful work!!Take care,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry you were caused such pain by your mistake.. but hope it is well received! Have a happy Christmas Helen '#1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen it had to go out with the trash. What you see is not what it later actually turned out to look like. But thanks for the welcome support.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed your envelope of ARty goodness. I also have a blog - https://lifeforus.blogspot.com/ I will add a link to this blog of yours on my side bar on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Becky! Thanks for mentioning your blog here, as I would have had no idea otherwise. :) Hope you and Scott and the "animules" are doing well today.

      Delete
  4. Aw Silly Possum, sounds as if you’re overdoing it, and....I know I can’t see the ‘big mistake’ but I’m going to stretch my neck and reminded you that it doesn’t matter....homemade withlove is grand and tbh, what I can see is just lovely..love the decorated black shadow cactus..what a brilliant idea! You wanna keep in with that Aunt Bec, she’s got a flair with colour and pattern and she’s lovely generous! Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear sweet Julia Thank you for supporting this learning process of mine. I actually did totally wreck my poor project quite accidentally. When I tried to repair the initial damage something else accidental happened that made it totally irreparable. Sad truth. (sighing) But life goes on and making things too close to a deadline is also a factor to bear in mind. Other, more pressing matters kept getting in the way of my even starting the project, so it was doomed from the start.
      As for Becky - she's awesome. I've been enjoying her Wednesday Live stream shows at YouTube as well. Her decorated envelopes are stellar !
      ;)

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry your card didn't turn out as planned. It is upsetting when that happens. I too am getting used to my 'new norm' since February this year. It's a big thing to accept. I hope you have a wonderful and peaceful Christmas, Heather #32

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Heather
      So sorry to learn that you, too, are discovering life with a set of "new norms" to consider. And you're right - acceptance can be very difficult, as experience taught me yesterday afternoon.
      Lovely and safe holidays for you and yours

      Delete
  6. So sorry that your project got ruined, Rose - believe me, we've all been there. Sometimes we can still save it - sometimes we can't and then we'll just have to let it go. I used to tear up paper in anger when things didn't quite work out, but now that I think of it, I haven't done that in a long time. The idea of your project sounds great and it looks great at the stage you took the photo, so I can not imagine what happened after that, but I'll take your word for it. No big deal - don't let this bring you down! In retrospect, my little tantrums now seem quite funny! I hope you'll be able to laugh it off too one day. The happy mail saved the day, that's the main thing! How is that for lucky timing! It must have been awesome to get something like that in the mail! You'll have so much fun with those papers! Wise words from Shaz and Shoshi about the "new norm" - both those ladies have had their share of health problems and they know what you're going through. I'm sending you hugs and my best wishes for Christmas and the New Year, hoping that your eye condition improves with time. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Zsuzsa! Thank you for the lovely comment and your well wishes. It really has been a trying time for me here lately, but maybe things can improve over time? I may be able to invest in some hands-free magnification for my workdesk. We'll see how that may go in future. I know I couldn't handle wearing a visor since the biopsy site still is sire sometimes with localized headaches. Hands free seems a better choice.
      As for any tantrums, I did tear the sad, destroyed thing and shove it into a waste paper basket rather roughly. I then stomped off as far away as I could get from my crafting area. I even flung my apron across a room!!! There followed a few frustrated tears and a good old fashioned pout.
      Planning. Strategy. A few pieces of equipment. All 3 might well offer me a better chance at creating without being so clumsy or messy any longer. We shall see.
      I won't be able to laugh at yesterday's messy emotions until I am able to find the solution which works, I'm afraid.
      You are right - Becky's Happy Mail is really a good lift to the morale!!
      A lovely and peaceful Holiday season to you and yours! (and that means Sir Oreo too!)
      :)

      Delete
  7. I can't really see why there is a mistake on the card it looks good to me. Have a lovely Christmas and a great woyww too, Angela x8x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Angela! Actually, this was the "Before" picture. There is no "After" picture, only outgoing trash that's in tatters. I simply could not see well enough and kept destroying any good that I;d done earlier. Finally, it was no longer salvageable, sad to say.
      But at least i've got some pretty new painty papers to play with, right?
      ;)

      Delete
  8. I cannot see what is wrong with your card it looks fine to me. Do not be so hard on yourself. We all have a time when we have to change our life to fit a changing body. The new norm is a great term for it. Keep creating
    Monica # 22

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Monica Thanks for stopping by. Actually, what you see in the photo is not how things went afterward. The photo shows it prior to completion, and it was during that part of things when everything kept going from bad to worse.
      What would we do if not for being creative?

      Delete
  9. Hi there. Such a pity your gorgeous cactus was ruined - my waste bin often contains pieces I have somehow spoiled as well! It's always said that artists should never throw any of their work away - but sometimes.... What lovely happy mail! A real treat when you opened the parcel.
    Have a really special Christmas season.
    Take care. God bless.
    Margaret #2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret for your very kind comment. The spoiled cactus truly did get ruined beyond repair. I am feeling better about things today, but I won't be producing anything akin to that design for a very long time.
      (sighing with relief) Blessed happy mail ! yes, it has been gratefully received and is now awaiting its first new assignment !
      :)

      Delete
  10. To be honest, I didn't see anything wrong with the cactus pic! At least you're creating some art which is more than me. And that happy mail came just at the right time, the envelope is gorgeous!!
    Happy Christmas
    Hugs LLJ 6 xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy HolidaysLLJ! The damage that occurred happened FOLLOWING the taking of the photograph. This factor of post-photo damage has left a few other people puzzled as well, so you are not alone.
      I simply could not bear to take a new picture of it once it had been ruined. All of that time and work wasted !
      I'm very glad you like Becky's lovely envelope as much as I do. :)

      Delete
  11. Sorry you think that your project was ruined. i must admit that I can't see a mistake. I love the background and the cactus is cute against it. Hope your eyes aren't too bad over the next week! Merry Christmas. Sarah #9

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Holidays Sarah! You see, I chose not to show what it looked like once it had been spoiled. This has puzzled a few other commenters here, I'm afraid.
      But life will go on, and there will be other things to create, won't there?
      ;)

      Delete
  12. Hi Possum, we are always our harshest critics, i think. And adjusting to what we can do now, as opposed to what we used to be able to do, is a very hard lesson to learn, and adapt to. So don't be too hard on yourself, at least you try things, and that's all we can do. Have a lovely Christmas, Love & Hugs, Shaz #5 XxX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh Shaz You have understood me to perfection! Thanks for that wise observation. All of you have been so lovely about this post. Perhaps you are right. Perhaps it's better that we try, no matter how things turn out in the end.
      I did not take a photo of what it looked like once spoiled. I want to remember it as it was prior to that sorry end.
      Happy Holidays, dear Shaz. I do hope and pray any health troubles will no longer plague you in the New Year.
      xoxo

      Delete
  13. Lucky happy mail, Rose - I am all over that gorgeous envelope...aren't the colours luscious! Too bad about the mistake on the card, but thankfully, the muse will return and there will be another project! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, WIn! Are you ready for the "new man in your life" to arrive for the holidays at your home? What a precious baby he is!
      The mistake on the card....well, I never took a picture of the Mistake. I suppose that I should have captioned the photo more accurately. But heigh ho! A new project awaits and I am in the mood to create without any deadlines for a while.
      Happy Holidays!
      xo

      Delete
  14. Super happy mail and sorry the cactus card didn't turn out right, I love what I can see, reminds me of my visit there many moons ago. Have a Happy Christmas and a Crafty New Year BJ#27

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BJ
      I do not show the damage that occurred later on, following the photo having been taken. I could not bear to see the poor ruined thing any longer, so no pics of it have been taken.
      :(
      The good news is the Happy Mail bit.
      It was so kind and generous of Becky to send me all of those lovely goodies, wasn't it? :)
      Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  15. Oh wow they are beautiful, love the baubles card xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks kerry! Unfortunately, it's the card that ended up being accidentally ruined by me. :(

      Delete