Wednesday, June 28, 2017

WOYWW #422: Permission to Get Really Messy!

Perfectionism is a trap that I've fallen into now and then. It usually puts me in a gloomy frame of mind. No more gloom!

For a chance to find out what the WOYWW fun is all about, my readers can follow the link HERE to Julia Dunnit's Stamping Ground. I'm posting quite late at night this time, and may need to wait till midday on Wednesday due to another commitment before I will be able to visit other deskers. I can hardly wait to see what's on everybody's desk this week!

I've decided to relieve a lot of pressure this year by relaxing and playing more using whatever materials may happen to inspire and please me. That is, when it is time to let go of digital art for a time and loosen up. (fussy stuff, digi artwork)

The Main Idea
This altered book project began with an idea I had gotten from some videos on reorganizing art and craft areas. Apparently, paper that gets stored on its edge tends to survive better than paper that's kept flat in stacks. I have different sizes of papers in my collection. Portfolios house my larger sheets and boards (up to 32" x 40"). I 'd already made a Steampunk scrapbook paper sized one last year that's been working for me ever since, but it is too deep for my smaller pages and sheets.

I had these two antique book covers which I'd removed from their previous book blocks (a book block is all of the pages either sewn or glued together without the cover). I'd very nearly tossed them a few years ago. These were the ideal size for smaller sheets and scraps.



The other promise that I'd made myself was to use as much existing stock this year as possible. I don't toss things very easily anymore. I've learned by past experience how reckless this can get for me. Hanging onto too much "stuff," however, seems wasteful and pointless. It's easy for me to get hung up on such a dilemma.

Coming Together
The two uninspiring old book covers belonged to books that were literally given away for free. Sometimes even books which exceed the 100 year mark in age can be worthless to collectors. I've used a number of illustrations and photos from these books for my Free Graphics blog, Plush Possum Studio, but the covers needed a chance to be of some real use. I added bottoms to both covers, then glued the two together using PVA. I chose some berry colored mulberry paper for the lining.


One Side View
I chose my old monoprinted cardstock from last year as the starting point, and vowed to allow the project to be messy looking but interesting if necessary. I think that I've succeeded! Lolz   
Nothing perfect about this side view, now is there?
:)


Unfortunately my camera does not photograph metallics or iridescent colors very well. The torn mulberry paper at the top edge has been overpainted using copper metallic acrylic paint. I used Liquitex Heavy Matte Gel Medium for the lining in order to avoid any possible tackiness from a glossier product. My final finish with all such projects that I know are bound to come in contact on wet rainy days with other acrylic-coated objects is Microglaze by Judikins. This has never failed me. 

The Icing
The spine area of my 2-book cover altered book project is a drippy mess, but I really like it. I enjoyed that part immensely. Loosely controlled chaos! The iridescent drips were made by mixing Mod Podge with Winsor and Newton's iridescent Watercolor Medium. A small amount goes a really long way!


Let the 2017 messiness continue....


43 comments:

  1. Hi Rose. You have been having fun and getting messy, haven't you?! Long may it continue for you.
    Take care. God bless.
    Margaret #7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Margaret! I am coming to terms with the part of myself that wants to discard the shackles of perfectionism. You seem to think it's working for me, so I must be on the right track. Thanks for your input
      ;)

      Delete
    2. Hey kiddo - I just now found out I couldn't add a comment to your blog's post for today. I can't get it to scroll down far enough to even see the place to click on"Leave a comment"! Just thought you needed to know!

      Delete
  2. I can see how this could work for storage - and you could stick more covers together to expand it! Brilliant idea! My mind is whirring with possibilities! Love the drippage! I'm glad you're taking part in WOYWW again Rose! I was hoping you would ;) zsuzsa #33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lolz Thank you Zsuzsa! It has already begun to work for me. My one problem with the design will be dust, so cleaning with care once in a while will be essential. I actually have two slim and tall book sleeve boxes to play with next that are only open where the paper (well, books) can slide into them. They're bland grey and need some love. Here's to upscaling!
      I can recall thinking the same thing about our both participating in WOYWW again. I'm glad we both are able to do so today! I'll be sure to pay you a visit very soon.
      :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for following me - hope I don't disappoint!
    Love the 2 book cover idea - will you use it to store paper or as an actual journal?
    Have a good week
    Christine #25 ish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine! This project does store paper now. the way in which it's turned out is inspiring me to try another altering project very soon.
      I followed your blog in that I am never disappointed by its content. Looking forward to reading more of your words again today!
      :)

      Delete
  4. Hurrah for embracing the mess :) Great cover!! Happy WOYWW xo Cheetarah #43

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Cheetarah. Indeed - "hurrah for the mess!" See you at your spot soon! xo

      Delete
  5. Hi Rose. I love a good mess but then you know that Lol! Before I forget I noticed you said you had problems at Margaret's. Her blog has two scroll bars and to make it go down to the bottom you need to use the one slightly to the left of the one on the right, hope that makes sense. Thanks for the visit to mine , have a great crafty woyww, Angela x18x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela I could only see ONE scroll bar at Margaret's this week. I wonder how come?
      It can be fun to get messy, can't it? ;)

      Delete
  6. What a great desk. TFS Happy WOYWW xx Jan (31)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I zoomed in a bit on the pictures, and the coppery highlights showed up beautifully :) I LOVE the 'icing' effect :)
    Have a wonderful WOYWW Wednes-yay!
    Bubbles #1
    http://patchworkapples.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/woyww-421.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bubbles May I borrow your "Wednes-yay" sometime?
      Thanks for the idea to zoom in for the coppery highlights and glad you like my drippy "icing"!
      :)

      Delete
  8. Your cover is most creative! I've not seen anything quite like that before! Looking forward to more! Thanks for the visit and happy WOYWW!
    Carol N #37

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, Carol. So glad you like my drippy, smeary, messy project! Thanks for stopping by!
      :)

      Delete
  9. Thank you Rose for stopping by my desk earlier. I am loving your altered book project. The icing is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon! So glad you like my little drippy, messy altered book duo/paper storage project. This was fun!

      Delete
  10. Rose, Your altered book project is great. Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Happy WOYWW
    Sue #17

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue! Thanks for popping by! Glad you liked my latest mess.

      Delete
  11. Thank you for your visit to my blog, belated WOYWDW Lilian # 21

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lillianb Thanks for returning the courtesy. This was a fun week for me to hop with all of you once again!

      Delete
  12. Fascinating idea and techniques - love the drippy bits.
    Thanks for stopping by, hope you have a great week,
    Diana #25

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana thanks for the kind kudo on the drippy part. See you next time we both have tome for another fun Wednesday desker hop!

      Delete
  13. I understand your dilemma - if you hang on to every little thing then very soon you can't move in your craft space; but if you toss things you haven't used for ages, they're bound to be the first things you need for the next project. I've got over that second part - if I haven't got something, I change tactic and use something else. I like the fact that you're reusing those old book covers, much better than them going to waste! Drippy icing rocks btw :-D
    Hugs LLJ 13 xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LLJ Lolz Thanks for leaving me such a fun comment! I'll try and remember your "tactic" for future reference - it is a good one.
      As for the "icing," it was my favorite part of making this project.
      :-D xoxo

      Delete
  14. Loved your altered covers... the effect (icing) is quite amazing...and the colours are just beautiful I used to love making an inky mess... in my days of paper crafting... now its fabric everywhere but I do still make tags etc from fabric which I still love to do... my blog design was done by Valentine Designs she will do whatever you wish to your blog she takes it over for a few hours then lets you have a look and when happy she sets it in place... It was a birthday treat a few years ago from my daughters... as I was always having trouble with the free backgrounds... I hope this helps... Have a great messy week ahead.... May #11

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi May! Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate the hot tip on the blog design best of all. I will look into it! You must have nice daughters.
      "A great messy week ahead" to you too!
      :)

      Delete
  15. Oh I love the icing reminiscent of candle wax too. Thanks for the visit BJ#28

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BJ Thanks - that was the best fun of all with this project. Winsor & Newton's Iridescent Watercolor Medium mixed with Mod Podge was the best part of all.

      Delete
  16. I love how the mulberry paper POPs for the inside of these :) and YAY for actually using up some of your saved treasures too. ~Stacy #38

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy You would cringe if you knew just how many years i'd been hanging onto that paper....(shame!) A whole DECADE. So I will add "and about time too!" to your YAY
      Lolz
      I LOVE my mulberry paper sheets. I bet you enjoy using some too. Check the post previous to this one for how the same paper in white reacts to having color behind it...
      :)

      Delete
  17. Lots of fun playing here! Awesome project! Thank you for your kind comments on your visit to mine! The "zentangle" on my index card was actually a stamp by Traci Bunkers!All I did was embellish!
    Thanks for sharing! Lindart #35

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Lindart. I had no idea that anybody had made zentange stamps - but thenI tend to reuse old stamps + make my own weird marks. I like that one a lot, so thanks for that tip! I liked how you embellished Traci's stamp. Way cool!
      ;)

      Delete
  18. I love your loose style, your covers are stunning! Have a great week, hugs, Lynne #46

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn! Thanks so much for your encouragement of my messy process! happy belated WYWW!

      Delete
  19. What a great idea! You could keep on adding book covers and letting the storage grow. Love the way you have worked.
    Thanks for visiting me - sorry I am so late, been in bed ill but fine now.
    Hugs, Neet xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Neet
      I do hope that you're feeling a lot better today!
      Thank you for the kudos about my drippy messy fun. I appreciate the encouragement.
      :)

      Delete
  20. What a cool project.
    Sorry I'm so late coming around.
    Have a great day!
    Diane F #30

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H9i Diane
      No need for an apology. Lost of deskers don't have enough time to visit everyone,let alone leave comments too. I myself tend to do only one WOYWW per month. It's been too much for me otherwise.
      If you are a US citizen, Happy 4th!
      Otherwise, Happy Anything You Wish to Celebrate!

      Delete
  21. What a fabulous makeover, Rose - I LOVE your messy. The 'icing' is just delicious, and your black printed cardstock just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Win! What a sweet comment - such a nice surprise for me to find today!
      :)

      Delete