Sunday, September 30, 2018

How To: DIY Custom Buttons

If you're at all like me, you love sewing notions of all kinds, especially BUTTONS!

Sometimes, it may be difficult to add a regular sewing button as an embellishment to crafting projects as these can be too heavy and/or too thick, especially for snail mail gifts. So I came up with a new solution very recently when I was making a gift for a friend named Lisa Conway at Lisa my Eclectic life. She has a YouTube channel as well as a Facebook Group. She and I both love to collect buttons and other sewing notions. 

These Directions will hopefully show you a new way of making customized buttons for your creative projects and even for gift wrapping or other projects. This all began with another project that I'll possibly be posting about here in time for the weekly WOYWW Blog Hop (that I miss most weeks) the first week in October.

NOTE: I used a colored Sharpie to color the insides of the holes prior to finishing the Button's circular edge. And I often used a desktop style Magnifier in order to see details better.

The top layers of all buttons shown here are of 140 lb cold press watercolor paper decorated with several layers of acrylic paint, but any heftier weight water media or mixed media art paper will no doubt work well enough. I painted an entire sheet first, then used 2 paper punches, one ATCoin sized (2.5") and, for the other, 1". Using acrylic media on watercolor paper makes the paper a bit more rugged, a tad bit like leather, as those of you who were interested in my ATC Treasure Box Project last year may have already noticed.

If you have any questions about this project, please feel free to leave a comment below.




















I really enjoyed this process as it's a lot of fun. I plan to make many more buttons like these of different shapes and sizes in future. Won't you join me?
:)

3 comments:

  1. such an awesome idea amd project. Thanks for the details amd photo tutorial, it helps to see how its all done. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi June! Thanks for popping by with your kind words. You know the old saying about necessity and invention. Lisa and I are both button fanatics, but I wanted to add something to her gift that matched it and yet had nothing in my collection that worked. I then needed to figure out - by way of making a number of big mistakes - how to go about making custom ones for her gift. I am still refining this process. xo

      Delete